- 1 Tegel Frozen Whole Chicken, thawed
- ½ white onion
- ½ lemon, cut in half
- 1 bunch thyme leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 large agria potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 kumara, sliced in rounds
- 300g pumpkin, chopped into small wedge
- 4 baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 red onion, sliced in thick rings
- 1 garlic head, sliced in half
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped into florets
- Packet chicken gravy mix
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Pat the thawed Tegel Frozen Whole Chicken dry with paper towels and then place the chicken in a roasting tin. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper, including inside the cavity. Place the white onion, lemon and a few sprigs of thyme in the cavity and truss the legs with twine.
- Drizzle olive oil generously all over the skin of the chicken then sprinkle over some thyme leaves.
- Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 1 ½ hours total or until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh.
- Halfway through cooking, add the potatoes to the baking tray.
- After an additional 15 minutes, add the kūmara, pumpkin, carrots, red onion and garlic. Make sure the vegetables are in a single layer and turn them once during cooking.
- Toss the broccoli florets in a little oil and add to the baking tray for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Once the chicken is cooked, transfer it to a serving plate, cover loosely with foil and allow to sit 10 minutes before carving. Let the roasting vegetables continue to cook in the oven while the chicken rests, if necessary.
- Make 1 cup of gravy according to the packet instructions. You can use pan juices to make the gravy if you like.
- Serve the chicken with the roasted vegetables and a jug of gravy.
Rate this recipe
Share this recipe
You might also like